The Meccano Meccaspider from Spin Master is a buildable, programmable robotic spider that is suitable for ages 10 plus.
Requiring 5 C batteries which are not included and with a building level of 3, this is not a small quick set to build. The Meccano Meccaspider takes around 3 hours to build and has lots of moving parts.
When you first take it out of the box it doesn’t look that complicated as most of the parts are quite big but don’t let that fool you. It takes a lot of concentration however it isn’t as fiddly as some of the other Meccano sets that we have built.
The Meccano Meccapspider comes with 291 parts, 2 hand tools, 1 decal sheet, brain module, an Infrared sensor module, 2 smart motor modules and instructions. When you have finished building the Meccano Meccaspider it measures 46 cm by 41 cm by 19 cm.
There are seven different modes on the Meccano MeccaSpider:
- Autonomous: This is the mode that Meccaspider start on. In this mode, it moves by itself as well as making sounds.
- Prowl: In this mode, it will hunt and move quickly and attack.
- Reclusive: MecccaSpider will move away from things in front of it.
- Wild & Wacky
- Guard: There is two type of guards, Basic guard where it stays still and Patrol guard where it moves around. It will attack things that moves
- Built-in Games: There are two different games, Repeat after me or Venom attack. Repeat after me is a simple sequence repeating game. Venom attack is a roulette game where Meccaspider squirts water at players at random.
Meccano MeccaSpider can be controlled by the free app or by the buttons on its back. The app is a great way to play with Meccaspider on manual control, this means you can move it where you want it to go and spray on demand.
The Meccaspider is a big purchase but it is lots of fun and if you have tweens who are interested in coding and STEM then it is a great investment.