Back to school bedtimesSeptember 15, 2014
I don’t know about you but the hardest thing I have to deal with now the kids are going back to school is bedtime. It’s great as it lets me get some time to myself on the night, which is exactly what I need, relaxing playing some games online, you can click this link now if you want to play some online games too. We all know the kids need to go to sleep early so they wake up with less of a strop on but try explaining that to them!
In a bid to get the kids settled ready to get up each morning we have been trying to introduce them to a new and improved bedtime routine because the school holiday routine of go to bed, when tired just, wouldn’t cut it when we have to wake them up at 7am in the morning.
We aim to have the kids in bed by 8pm so we need to make sure there is time for their bedtime story, currently a chapter of Harry Potter and the chamber of secrets. We then need to get them clean so we have to add in a bath, they also need to be fed I suppose and lets not forget a bit of tv time whilst dinner is cooking. Oh, and we can’t forget their homework.
With all this in mind, it looks like we have to start preparing for bed as soon as they come home from school. Well, that is a bit depressing really isn’t it! We don’t see the kids all day and all we do when they get home is go through the motions to get them ready to go to sleep.
Luckily for us, the kids are pretty good at going to bed and staying in them even if they do always come out with “I’m not tired” which usually proceeds some snoring noises a few minutes later.
So are you struggling with the bedtime routine? Disney produced a survey with some funny results. I particularly love the ten most unusual and creative excuses given by children for avoiding bedtime:
1. The bed is full of imaginary friends
2. Teddy needs the toilet again and isn’t tired
3. I need to stay up to keep mum and dad company
4. The family pet isn’t going to bed yet so why do I have to?
5. There’s an insect in the room
6. There’s an alien on the windowsill
7. I’m worried that if I go to sleep the tooth fairy will take all my teeth
8. The window is open and a witch might fly in
9. I have to feed the family pet first
10. I’m expecting a phone call