Is Dairy Good for you?May 4, 2016
However, it’s been suggested by nutritionists and health experts alike, that consuming lots of dairy products can also be bad for your health (this is largely due to its high saturated fat content), and we should consider removing it from our diets completely. As I’m sure we’re all aware, consuming excess amounts of fat can lead to weight problems and raised levels of cholesterol, putting you at risk of heart attack or stroke.
It’s all a little confusing, right? Is dairy good or bad for you? How and when should we consume it? We’ve done some research to demystify the myths and theories surrounding dairy consumption.
The benefits of dairy
Benefits of including dairy in your diet include:
- Eating dairy products is linked to a reduced risk of several serious illnesses such as type 2 diabetes, hypertension, and colorectal cancer.
- Experts suggest there’s a link between consuming dairy as part of a balanced diet and the reduction in blood pressure in adults and children.
- Tooth enamel needs the calcium which dairy provides. Consuming dairy can lead to healthier, stronger, teeth. Is that where “say cheese!” comes from!?
- Dairy can help you sleep better. Dairy includes a naturally occurring protein called tryptophan which can raise the levels of the certain hormones within the body which help you get a good night’s sleep.
- If you’re sporty, milk is great! Not only is it a great way to rehydrate the body, but the proteins found in milk has a number of great benefits such as muscle growth and bone strength.
Does dairy worsen the symptoms of asthma?
It’s true – in some instances, milk and milk products can trigger allergies in asthma sufferers, but, there’s only a very small percentage of people who are allergic to milk products. For those who do suffer these allergies, consuming dairy may result in wheezing and shortness of breath.
Can dairy lead to obesity?
Too much of any food can cause weight problems, and dairy is no exception. Although dairy is good for healthy bones, excess consumption can lead to obesity. Like anything else, dairy should be consumed in moderation.
Is it unnatural for humans to drink cow’s milk?
Followers of the paleo diet and other, like-minded nutritionists may argue that humans aren’t designed to drink milk. Cow’s milk is designed for growing calves, right? That doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have health benefits for us, too! It has been proven time and again that milk is good for us; an excellent source of essential nutrients
To summarise…Like any food/drink product dairy should be consumed in moderation, but on the whole, dairy is one of the best parts of our diet! So maybe we should listen to that famous TV ad… “Petit Filous makes your bones grow stronger!”
What are your thoughts? Is milk an essential part of our diets, or could we live without it? Share in the comments below.