Baking with The BFG – A Grobswitchy Cake recipe that is ScrumdiddlyumptiousNovember 25, 2016
To help celebrate the fact that The BFG is now available to own on digital download, Bluray and DVD, we were sent a fantastic parcel full of goodies to help inspire us to get creative in the kitchen. We were tasked with making a recipe based on The BFG. A few months ago I purchased Roald Dahl’s Completely Revolting Recipes book and although I was tempted to make Frobscottle or recreate a Snozzcumber I was more intrigued by the Grobswitchy Cake Recipe. A cake recipe that contained sour cream was something I had never seen before.
In the Oxford Roald Dahl Dictionary, it states that something that tastes Grobswitchy has a nasty flavour which is not what we would want in a cake. The recipe didn’t look very grobswitchy but I still decided to make a few tweaks to help make it as Scrumdiddlyumptious as it could possibly be.
Grobswitchy Cake Recipe (that tastes Scrumdiddlyumptious)
4 tbsp soft brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
300ml sour cream
210g plain flour
70g self-raising flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
100g Chopped pecans
2 tbsp popping candy
- Heat the oven to 170C/Gas Mark 3
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon
- In a separate bowl cream the butter and caster sugar
- Add the eggs one at a time and whisk after adding each one
- Stir in the sour cream, both types of flour and the bicarbonate of soda
- Add half the mixture to the cake tin
- Sprinkle over half the sugar/cinnamon mix, and half of the glace morello cherries, pecans and popping candy
- Add the rest of the cake mix and then the rest of the sugar/cinnamon mix, glace morello cherries, pecans and popping candy on the top
- Put in the oven and cook for 1 to 1 and a half hours or until a skewer comes out clean
- Allow to cool for around 15minutes and then eat with cream whilst still warm
This GrobSwitchy Cake was Scrumdiddlyumptious and Scumptious-galumptious and all sorts of other amazing words that describe something so crunchy and splongy and sweet and sticky. It is one of those cakes where one slice is just not enough and you want to eat the whole thing.
We had so much fun creating this Grobswitchy Cake recipe and eating the end result as we sat down to watch The BFG together as a family. If you have not seen The BFG yet I highly recommend it, this reimagining of the classic is fantabulous and perfect for Roald Dahl fans old or young.